Friday 2 December 2016

Holiday Plans


Holiday Plans:

   Where do I even start? The first official plan of my holidays is purchasing my new guitar at Long and Mcquade and waiting then for it to come in. The guitar I’m getting is a pro jet gold top Gretsch as stated in my last blog. I have a pile up of songs that I want to learn how to play on guitar and they have seemed to keep piling up. A vast variety of songs mind you too everything from Country to Rock/Grunge. A few examples would be songs such as “Blood Mary Morning” and “Lonesome On’ry an Mean” and “I’d Love to Lay You Down” would consist of some of the Country songs that have piled up, most of the other country songs that have piled up consisted of being Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings and Conway Twitty. Joining it would be other songs such as “State of love and Trust”, “Heart Shaped Box”, “Funk 49”, “Maggie McGill”, “New Orleans Is sinking” and like I don’t even know how many more rock songs there is, I like learning a variety of rock. This will probably be my nightly ritual when I get off, learning multitudes of different styles focusing mostly on rhythm.

  Next move on this holiday checklist is probably a nice long stress free drive with my girlfriend. Looking at some of the scenic views of Christmas in Newfoundland really takes the stress of assignments and exams off my shoulders. Warm car, chill tunes and a whole bunch of Christmas spirit, what can be better? I know exactly what your thinking and I’m thinking it to. A nice holiday stop to my local liquor store for some extra holiday “spirit”, preferably Brandy or Whiskey. There more than likely will be a night over the holidays which I wont remember, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. New years is sure to be a time within itself, it always is with my family. Drinks, Music and good laughs remising on days that past along with you know, the shooting off of the occasional firework.

  A few days over the Holidays, me and my girlfriend are going to go out to Bowring Park for a walk and I’ll probably ask one of my friends to tag along too. Me and my girlfriend enjoy going for walks, especially during the winter when the park would look so beautiful. We haven’t had much time to do much activities such as walking since summer break so we’re sure to get a fair bit done. We will go for a walk out to Bowring Park most likely, and probably other areas such as George Cove Mountain and the Bluff


(bluff as shown in picture)

and maybe even Cape Spear and other locations in the surrounding areas. I’m completely sure we always just spontaneously do walks. If we get much snow, we may go sliding on the hill across the road from my house or at Bowring Park. I haven’t been sliding in years. The last time I must have been in elementary, so that is definitely long over due.

  A bike ride is also in order on the holiday break, again something that hasn’t been done since summer break. Last time Kendra and I went out on the bikes, we were with a couple of my buddies and it was a time. Me and my buddy Dwayne have after finding some wicked spots along the track past Holyrood two summers ago.


(somewhere between Holyrood and Brigus Junction on the track)

This summer, I revisited them with Kendra and they’re just beautiful locations and always will be, a resting beauty of nature that just shouldn’t be disturbed. I’ve never been there in the winter so I can only imagine how lovely they look at that time of year.

  I have been told I have gift cards coming my way for a supper and movie for Christmas, so it looks like Kendra and I may be going to see a movie over the holidays as well. I’m not too sure on what movie we’ll be going to see. I haven’t really looked into that because I like to choose once I’m out there. The only movie I even know that’s coming out at that time, I believe, is the Assassin’s Creed One which looks intriguing but I don’t know about it. I certainly do know where I’m going to for supper which is Boston pizza. I can’t speak for Kendra on what she’s getting but I already know what I’m getting. A nice rack of ribs with Jack Daniel’s sauce over them, a side of vegetables which I wont eat because they have the texture of rocks, some extremely mouth-watering mashed potatoes with a slice of garlic bread; washed down by some Mountain Dew or Pepsi depending on the mood of the day. After and before our movie, I’d say we ,more than likely, will do some window shopping or actual shopping of which I get some more clothes and guitar straps and other such things I need and want.

  Most important out of all the things I’m doing this Holiday season is just plainly spending time with my close friends and family. The first person I have to stop by to visit has to be our family’s life-long friend Brophy, who I don’t get to see or talk to near as much as I’d like to. Growing up, he was always around while my pop was alive. He would come over and play cards with me and my nan and later years my sister and brother. He talks about the old days and would generally be a guy of wisdom in my belief about him and my pop. Talking to him reminds me of a simpler day when things weren’t complicated so he’ll definitely be seen a couple times. I’ll be stopping by my uncles to say hello to him and his wife I do imagine and also I’ll be up to my mom’s quite a bit to play pool and other such things, hanging out with my sister and brother and relaxing with all of them. And while all of this is happening I’m going to be spending a stress-free holiday with my nan. I have a lot to show her I’m grateful for this year and a lot of thanks I have to give her for ,quite frankly, putting up with my shit. All this will be spent with Kendra and there’s really nothing more I can truthfully ask for. Thanks for reading, These are my holiday plans.

5 comments:

  1. Cody – I love your blog – you have pulled on my every heart string including guitar strings. Where do I begin because I want to say so much? Congratulations you on your new guitar and I hope it is your favourite gift this year. Guitar playing is such a huge part of our lives – Billy has been playing for over 30 years and when he started his mom would have to write him a note to give to the bar owner so he could play with his band because he was only 16 – times were different back then. Someday I look forward to hearing you play one of your favourite songs. Sliding, I love it we do it every winter now and the first time I went sliding since elementary school it felt amazing and still do!!!!! We felt like kids again and every time we went down the hill my stomach would go up in my throat and I loved it – the last time down the hill we would have hit Water Street except the fence stopped us but we put a good dent in it ha ha. You’re an old soul and you have brought back so many wonderful memories to me – taking time for family and friends is priceless. Kendra, your mother, brother, sister, Nan, and your pop’s friend is what life is about and all I can tell you is to spend as much time with them as you can because life is too short and it can change on a dime. We lost our grandmother about 4 years ago, and she truly was the ribbon that held us together, our family circle is forever broken. So, live each and every moment, love as much as you can and never forget what is truly important but ….. you already know that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post Cody and great tips on how to spend the Christmas break; you've basically described all my favourite things. For me, Christmas has always been about spending time with family and friends - driving around to look at Christmas lights, getting outside to enjoy the fresh air, and being carefree. With all the chaos of everyday life, we need to take some time to get away from the hustle and bustle. I am looking forward to taking the opportunity to try some of your suggestions and wish us all a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. seems like you're going to have a great holiday,oh to be your age again lol! hopefully the snow doesn't stop you! MERRY CHRISTMAS

    ReplyDelete
  5. NEW GUITAR DAY!!! I'm always GASing (guitar acquisition syndrome ) I hope you really like it, the holidays will be pretty sweet mang! relaxing is key. I think some nice out door walks are exactly what i need.

    ReplyDelete